Registrar, Board of Trustees Faculty/Staff Member
Office (719) 434-3546, Fax (719) 634-6263
October 6-8, 2017
The Founders’ Day Hall of Fame ceremony will be held on Friday, October 6, 2017! We look forward to receiving nominations of faculty and alumni for these awards.
Click here for a schedule of events and to register for REUNION.
Founders’ Day Hall of Fame
“Founders’ Day is a day to reflect on the school’s history by connecting with individuals shaped by our school and those who shaped our school. We will honor excellence and challenges, pursuits and struggles, we will celebrate friendships, mentors, and colleagues. We will honor a different era of our school’s history and an enduring mission of progressive education.” - Aaron Schubach, Head of School
NOW ACCEPTING NOMINATIONS: Seeking alumni and past faculty/staff who exemplify a purposeful life and model the character and values exhibited by the school’s founders. Founders’ Day and Hall of Fame Honorees are selected as we proudly showcase the accomplishments of those who have been significantly contributed to the history of CSS.
- Founders’ Day Honoree (alumnus/alumna eligible or past faculty/staff eligible)
- Athletic Hall of Fame Honoree (alumnus/alumna or past faculty/staff eligible)
- Arts Hall of Fame Honoree (alumnus/alumna or past faculty/staff eligible)
To nominate an alumnus/alumna or past faculty/staff for one of these honors, please complete this form and email your support to Jessica James, Director of Advancement and Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Archive of Founders’ Day Hall of Fame
- Founders’ Honoree: C.J. (Buchanan) Grace ‘86; educator
- Founders’ Honoree: David Rollman, former faculty from 1980 – 1985
- Athletic Honoree: Daryll Fuller ‘88; outdoor educator and enthusiast
- Founders’ Honoree: Susan Barker Day ‘70; dedicated nurse and musician
- Founders’ Honoree: Powys Gadd ‘75; accomplished archaeologist
- Founders’ Honoree: Lynn and Andy Handford; Andy was faculty from 1980-1997 and CSS was supported in many ways by his wife Lynn
- Founders’ Honoree: Mrs. Ava Molner Heinrichdorff, 30-year veteran teacher at CSS from 1973-1993
- Founders’ Honoree: Ms. Lesley King ‘77, accomplished writer and author
- Athletic Honoree: Master Jay Lee ‘99: Director of Operations for US Taekwondo Centers
- Installation of 9th Head of School: Mr. Aaron Schubach
- Founders’ Honoree: Dr. Todd Horn, Former Upper School Faculty, career educator and Head of Kent Denver School (retired)
- Founders’ Honoree: Mrs. Eleanor Walters, 36-year veteran Children’s School Assistant (retired)
- Arts Honoree: Anthony Dortch ‘95, successful Smithsonian Institute-exhibited artist
- Athletic Honoree: Vanessa (Leeper) Jones ‘08: illustrious CSS female athlete and Division II collegiate athlete
Founders’ Day Honoree: Al Adams, founder of Children’s School and co-creator of Middle School
- Founders’ Day Honoree: Debbie Scaling Kiley ‘76: Author of the Albatross documenting her survival of a shipwreck in which she credits her survival skills to CSS
Athletic Honoree: Jennifer Cogswell ‘72: active sportswoman
Athletic Honoree: Matthew Field ’81: credited with starting Lacrosse at CSS and avid lacrosse advocate in Marin County California.
Athletic Honoree: Katharin Binkowski Collings ’87: nationally trained figure skater and US National and International Figure Skating Coach
Arts Honoree: Rebecca Dahl DeVere ’79: showcased painter, a jewelery designer, and mosaic designer
Arts Honoree: Edward “Ned” Aldrich ’83: nationally-acclaimed wild life artist
Arts Honoree: John Goodman ’87: Hollywood animator
Arts Honoree: Patrick Shearn ’80: freelance visual effects motion picture artist and popular constructor of outdoor installations
- Founders’ Day Honoree: Jason Pipoly ‘90, record-setting swimmer for crossing the English Channel as a paraplegic, and inspirational speaker
- Founders’ Day Honoree: Margaret Gilbert ‘70, accomplished architect of the award-winning Penrose-St. Francis Hospital
- Founders’ Day Honoree: Valerie Alston-Morgan ‘69: first african-american student at CSS and accomplished attorney with a position at the Department of Health and Human Services in the Office for Civil Rights