Children's School Division Lead
International Student & Homestay Program
The Colorado Springs School (CSS) enrolls qualified international students to join our community in the pursuit of learning and personal growth. During any given year, approximately 15% of the Upper School student body hails from many countries. We value a range of viewpoints, experiences, customs, and traditions, and find our international students to be an important part of our global perspective. The school also offers a Homestay Program for international students. Successful international students participate fully in classes and also in extracurricular activities. Our international students fully embrace the complete CSS experience both in and out of the classroom and, in turn, share their cultures with the school community.
In previous years, CSS has hosted international students from Brazil, South Korea, Taiwan, China, Vietnam, Japan, Chile, Argentina, France, Germany, Hungary, Croatia, and Spain.
Host Family Option
- Host parents act as surrogate parents for the student, helping them adjust to a new culture and language and to negotiate the challenges and opportunities of beginning at a new school.
- The most successful host/student relationships occur when students participate in family activities, show an interest in their host brothers and sisters, keep their rooms neat, and abide by the family’s rules.
- Many students and host families create relationships that evolve into long lasting friendships.
- CSS places students with a host family connected to the School. Most host families are parents of students or past students or are CSS faculty members. The school completes background checks on all host families.
- In addition to Upper School students living with host families, CSS enrolls international students in grades 1 - 8 who stay with their relatives living in the Colorado Springs area.
- The host family welcomes an international student into their home as a member of the family. Their commitments include providing transportation and support for the student’s activities outside of school hours such as sports, art, music, and theatre.
- In addition to teachers, advisors, and host families, the Director of Student Programs assists international students with their adjustments to The Colorado Springs School and life in the United States.
- CSS prepares both U.S. and international students for some of the best colleges in the country. Recent CSS graduates have matriculated to fine institutions such as Columbia University, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell University, University of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Tufts Univesity, University of Pennsylvania, and Williams College.
- The CSS College Counseling Program begins in a student’s freshman year to help students identify and investigate colleges. Each year the process intensifies as students visit with college representatives and work through the application process. Finally, the students use college counseling to apply to colleges and select the one that suits his/her individual goals.
- CSS provides the opportunity to graduate from an American high school by fulfilling the CSS graduation requirements or provides a one-year program for students who return to their own countries to complete their educations.
- Guaranteed College Admission Agreement: In an unprecedented step, CSS and The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS) have developed a guaranteed admissions agreement. This innovative agreement allows any student who has successfully completed at least his/her last three years at CSS and graduates with a GPA of 3.0 or higher to be automatically granted admission as a full-time, degree seeking, freshman at UCCS. Learn more about CSS-UCCS partnership.
Information for Agents
- CSS has a long history of working successfully with agents to facilitate the logistics of placing international students. Our primary goal is to ensure that students are well-matched to the school and to the host family. At CSS, we prefer to work with agents to find host families within the CSS community to ensure the students and host families enjoy the benefits of CSS.
- The staff at CSS understands that agents are responsible to parents and other agents in addition to the students. We work together to ensure that everyone’s needs are met.
- CSS Admissions, the Business Office, and International Student Program Coordinator value good working relationships with our agents and communicate proactively so that agents and parents are informed about students’ needs and progress.
The Admission Process
The admission application for international students is composed of the CSS online application, an official TOEFL iBT or IELTS score, confidential recommendations from current teachers and Principal or Counselor (in English), and official translated school records. Please note that applicants must apply for the appropriate grade level based on age during enrollment (Grade 9: 14/15 years old; Grade 10: 15/16 years old; Grade 11: 16/17 years old) and educational background. Contact our Admission Office for additional information on these requirements.
- Step 1: Submit complete application including official translated transcripts and recommendations. - Electronic Student Application. Please select the appropriate international application and grade level (based on age).
- Step 2: Submit TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores to be received by our priority deadline of February 1. The CSS TOEFL Institution Code is 8095. Our minimum TOEFL iBT and IELTS scores required are:
- Grade 9 applicants: 80 TOEFL or 6.5 IELTS
- Grade 10 and 11 applicants: 85 TOEFL or 6.5 IELTS
- Step 3: Once a completed application, with supporting documents and the iBT or IELTS score, is received, the Admission Staff will arrange, via email, a Skype or in-person interview with qualified applicants.
Once a student has been admitted, the enrollment contract has been submitted and tuition and fees have been paid in full to CSS, the Admission Office will issue an I-20.
Other Important Information
- Beyond the rigorous academic educational opportunities at CSS, students also have the opportunity to explore Colorado Springs and the inspirational environment of our mountain setting. Learn more about the city of Colorado Springs and surrounding areas.
- Most international students staying beyond one semester or school year do go home for the two-week Winter Break and during Summer Vacations. Arrangements can, however, be made to stay with a host family over the holidays.
- CSS can help secure excellent tutors for English language learner needs.
For more information about attending The Colorado Springs School, participating in the Homestay Program, and about tuition and fees for international students, please contact the CSS Admission Office at (719) 434-3500.